Whether you’re a driver, an event organiser, or even a spectator, if you’ve got questions about motorsport insurance we’re here to help.

In this blog post we answer the five questions we get asked most from prospective customers. After reading you’ll have more information about motorsport insurance and what it covers, hopefully paving the way for you to make an informed decision on your own policy. And if you’ve still got any questions after reading, drop us a message and we’ll be happy to help.

What does motorsport insurance cover?

In short, motorsport insurance is specialist coverage designed to cover the unique risks associated with racing vehicles. 

Where regular motor insurance is designed to provide financial protection in the event of damage or injury from collisions in traffic or other similar contexts, motorsport insurance protects against a much broader range of risks specific to the racing environment. Examples of what might be covered include:

  • Physical damage to a vehicle from accidents, crashes or other mechanical failure
  • Liability coverage for injuries to competitors, spectators, or property
  • Medical expenses for drivers, crew, spectators and others
  • Event cancellation where an event is called off and leads to financial loss
  • Transportation both to and from events

The range of eventualities covered will depend on the policy type and terms. At MIS we offer a range of motorsport insurance including on-track insurance, motor trade insurance, storage and transport insurance, liability insurance, and group travel and personal accident insurance. We work with each policy holder to ensure their policy aligns with their specific needs.

What is the governing body for motorsports in the UK?

Per their website’s About Us page, Motorsport UK is “the national membership organisation and governing body for four-wheel motorsport in the UK, representing competitors, volunteers, clubs, and fans.” 

Their mission is admirable: “to inspire and enable more people to be part of our sport in a safe, fair, fun, inclusive and progressive environment.”

Motorsport UK is also a founding member of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), who are the world governing body for motorsport.

In the UK, Motorsport UK represent a range of people and organisations, including:

  • Motor clubs
  • Competition licence holders
  • Volunteer marshals
  • Spectators
  • Fans

Their responsibilities include issuing licences, organising events, enforcing regulations, and overseeing rules and standards, all with the view to develop the sport, and increase engagement.

Do you need insurance to race a car?

Often, insurance requirements are required by the organising bodies of individual motorsports. While this means there is not technically a requirement to be insured to race in all contexts, our advice would be to get insured regardless.

By definition, motorsports are high-risk activities. They involve high speeds and other factors like tight corners, uneven surfaces, and similar that make accidents and collisions more likely.

Motorsport insurance coverage helps to ensure that your vehicle – and more importantly you – have the best possible protection when racing.

Do F2 and F3 drivers pay insurance?

There are two parts to this question: first, do F2 and F3 require insurance, and second, who pays for it?

For the first part: Section 13.1 of both the FIA F2 regulations and the FIA F3 regulations state that “the local promoter of a Competition must procure that all Competitors, their personnel and drivers are covered by third party insurance in accordance with the FIA requirements,” meaning that yes, insurance is required for F2 and F3.

In terms of whether the drivers pay the insurance themselves, it is harder to say. Most likely the cost will be covered by teams as part of their support package for drivers. The exact arrangement will depend on the contract between the driver and their team, and drivers may decide to take out additional insurance to what they’re provided if they are not fully satisfied by the terms.

Is your car insured on a race track?

By default, no. Being on a race track does not grant you any sort of coverage in and of itself.

If you are participating in an event with permission from the governing body and they require you to have insurance to be there, then it follows that you are insured on the race track.

The terms of the policy will determine when and where your vehicle is covered. Motorsport insurance, being specifically designed for drivers and other people involved in the sport, has provisions to protect you and your car while you are on a race track, whether in a competitive context or for other reasons.

Any other questions?

We hope this guide has answered your questions about motorsports insurance. If you’ve still got questions, feel free to drop us a line and we’ll be happy to help. And if not,  the take home message is this: motorsport insurance is what we do, and our mission is to provide cost-effective insurance to give you full peace of mind whatever the context. Whether you’re looking for on-track insurance for yourself, trade insurance or something else, get in touch with our team of experts and we’ll be happy to answer your questions and connect you with a policy tailored to your needs.